Exploring Pattern and Texture
Sue Stone’s passion is stitch. Her richly textured and patterned work contrasts the slow build of hand stitch with the spontaneity of machine stitch and paint. Images from past and present merge to create a partial narrative which the viewer is invited to complete.
In this weekend of exciting experimentation you will have fun with some of Sue’s favourite techniques and look at simple stitches in a new way.
- Examine at close quarters Sue’s handling collection of her own hand and machine stitched samples and stitch techniques books.
- Choose from Sue’s treasure trove of recycled, vintage and new fabrics and threads to create your own samples.
- Experiment with simple weaving techniques • strip weaving and needle-weaving.
- Get the most out of straight stitches, ‘mock’ herringbone, free cross stitch, chain stitch and couching.
- Learn how to assemble your texture and pattern samples into a stitched ‘techniques book’ which can be kept and used as an aide-mémoire for your own future work.
- Optional: Combine free machine stitch with hand stitch to create new types of texture and pattern.
NB: There will be the option to experiment with solely hand stitch techniques, or a mixture of hand and machine techniques in this workshop.